|Title:||Senior Manager, Distribution & Logistics|
|Job Location:||Algonquin, IL|
The Senior Manager, Distribution and Logistics position is responsible for managing and leading warehousing, , distribution, procurement, and logistics; continuous process improvement activities; and capital expenditure projects. This is a senior role which involves overseeing the operations of a diverse product portfolio of medical devices and ensuring the organization is running as well as it possibly can, with a smooth efficient process that meets the expectations and needs of customers.
- Direct all material warehousing and order fulfillment activities with the goal of meeting world class service levels
- Implement and manage efficient transportation & distribution practices
- Monitor all distribution services including receiving, delivery, processed returns and administrative activities to ensure customer requirements and DC goals are met
- Set up new locations or 3PL warehouses as needed.
- Direct material handling operations and improve procedures
- Responsible for cost, quality, and availability of components and materials
- Proper management of all inventory assets including raw material, work-in-process, sub-contract, and finished goods
- Direct all procurement activities and lead the site procurement team with the goal of reducing material costs and meeting on-time material requirements
- Plans and implements activities related to the timely, cost-effective procurement, inventory control and quality control of both production and prototype materials, including subcontracted processes
- Engage actively in supplier performance management, measurement and KPI
- Collaborate with the corporate Director of Supply Chain to manage and pursue improvements in the supply base.
- Ensures coordination and fosters a strong working relationship between sales and operations to maintain a forecast and associated supply to meet customer demand
- Directs the team ensuring availability of materials in the supply chain, as required per production schedules and forecasts, and the maintenance of inventory at minimum acceptable levels
- Demand Forecasting: Guide supply/demand trends in order to strategically forecast future needs and maintain minimum acceptable inventory levels
- Capacity planning: Supervise all planning activities such as reviewing warehouse process flow, capacity planning, and productivity measurement tools.
- Direct and clearly communicate demand forecasting and warehouse requirements cross functionally with Sales, Customer Service, Manufacturing, Engineering, Quality, and Finance
- Freight and Logistics
- Actively manage inbound, outbound, and transfer freight spend to ensure competitive cost and service, from supplier selection and contracting through execution.
- Lead improvement projects such as shipment consolidation and mode optimization.
- Collaborate with other locations to ensure compliance with corporate freight programs.
- Develop and maintain metrics to quantify performance.
eading, coaching and developing a diverse group of exempt and non-exempt team members
- Developing and setting budgets/business plans and managing cost in meeting the organization’s goals and objectives
- Driving the assessment, implementation and execution of Lean Continuous Improvement Program.
- Driving Lean principles and tools including but not limited to Demand Pull, JIT, ROP, Cellular manufacturing, 5S, Kaizen and Set-up Reduction
- Responsible for developing and executing an integrated strategy, relating to the current and future needs of distribution
- Continuous Improvement - make recommendations to improve productivity, quality, and efficiency of operations.
- Focus on production and delivery metrics and leading improvements
- Fostering collaboration with Process Engineering to identify the root cause of process issues and helping to implement the selected solution.
- Driving to the root cause of quality issues and working cross-functionally to propose and implement solutions
- Using strong analytical and operational experience to constantly seek out improvements in cost reduction, inventory reduction, standardized processes, and performance metrics
- - serving as lead for facility capital projects, problem-solving closely with the Young leadership team to address new opportunities in a manner consistent with the company’s objectives
- Acting as the "owner" of the functional specifications for buildings, infrastructure and equipment, and evaluating the feasibility of any changes or options proposed
- Partnership/Support - work closely and continuously with the leaders in product development, account management/customer service, maintenance, engineering and regulatory affairs to problem-solve successful product introductions, sustainable compliance and effective production planning and scheduling
- Other duties and projects as assigned
Training and Experience
- Bachelor degree in Supply Chain, Business Administration or a related field
- At least 8 years’ of progressively responsible work experience in operations/supply chain/distribution
- At least three years of experience in a supervisory capacity
- APICS certification (or in-process pursuit) strongly preferred
- Experience with warehouse acquisitions
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Demonstrated track record of driving financial performance in operational or strategic roles.
- Experience in managing multiple distribution locations required
- Experience in setting up and working with 3PL’s
- Strong DOT and IMDG regulation compliance knowledge, HAZMAT certification required (or ability to become certified).
- Strong working knowledge of WMS and TMS systems
- Thorough knowledge and previous successful application of Lean principles
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple competing deadlines.
- Ability to successfully train, motivate and direct the work of others, including the ability to develop team members and build a strong and effective organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Capable financial acumen
Strong computer skills (experience with Windows based applications, especially MS Excel).
Moderate physical activity is required. Daily responsibilities may require handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day. Bending, climbing, fine movements, and manual dexterity are also required.
Office environment and occasional exposure to manufacturing plant environment, with some abnormal variations in temperature, unavoidable fumes, noise, dust and atmospheric conditions.
Occasional travel to other facilities and vendors (less than 10% anticipated, but more may be required)