|Job Location:||Earth City, MO|
Under general supervision, the Chemical Engineer will be responsible for developing and implementing robust manufacturing processes and formulas in Young Dental’s Chemical Operations area.
- Serve as the project lead of a cross-functional team to identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities of chemical product lines or processes. This can include:
- Process mapping, time studies or other lean manufacturing techniques to identify efficient and effective improvements
- Ingredient or supplier consolidations to reduce material costs without negatively impacting product quality
- More effective orders of operation to increase capacity or improve product quality
- Material changes to support higher machine efficacy
- Work with QA and RA as the primary technical resource and project lead to investigate product complaints, and implement changes to improve long-term product quality
- Develop, prepare, review and approve Batch Records for liquid, paste and varnish products, including changes to increase standardization of work and clarity of execution.
- Team up with Marketing and R&D to:
- Develop new processes and capabilities to allow for production of new products and product line extensions.
- Serve as the liaison between R&D and manufacturing by monitoring scale-up or Prototype batches in manufacturing for new products.
- Implement minor line extensions
- Utilize GLP and standard laboratory testing procedures to support R&D projects that require extra resources:
- Physical, Analytical and Microbiological testing as needed for new products
- Help maintain R&D stability testing
Education and Experience
B.S. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering
3 – 5 years of relevant manufacturing experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
- Strong ability to work in groups, learn quickly and be a leader to complete work
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Failure Investigations
- Design of Experiments
- Data Analysis / Statistics
Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects
Intermediate knowledge of MS Project or SmartSheets preferred
Intermediate knowledge of Laboratory Equipment and Procedures Testing Instrumentation –mixer, homogenizer, stability chambers, pH determination, fluoride content determination, viscometer, basic weights, specific gravity and identity tests, basic microbiology assays – total plate count
- Previous experience working with chemicals in an FDA regulated environment (medical device and/or drugs) is preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Power Point, Excel and Outlook).
Follow all safety and good housekeeping procedures to maintain safe working environment.
- Basic knowledge or passion about the dental industry is a plus!
Able to sit, stand, stoop, bend, and walk frequently during the shift. May be necessary to work extended hours as needed and on weekends.
Occasional exposure to manufacturing plant environment, with some abnormal variations in temperature, unavoidable fumes, noise, dust and atmospheric conditions.
May need to lift up to 40 lbs. on occasion.
Ability to travel 10% or less. Visit trade shows, vendors or customers to provide technical assistance when needed.